Daniel Patrick Bartlett
Central Leader story 12th September 2007
The mother of a nine-year-old sexual abuse victim says the offender's two-year jail term is 'disgusting'. A convicted paedophile has lost his bid to serve his sentence in the state flat where he abused a nine-year-old girl. The victim's mother, who lives nearby, says she's relieved by the parole board's decision. "It's given me peace of mind, but I'm still sad for my daughter," she says. "I'd like him to stay inside for the maximum time possible." Daniel Bartlett, 62, was convicted of sexually abusing the girl at his Onehunga flat in 1998.Bartlett was sentenced to two years in prison and given leave to apply for home detention at the Auckland District Court in July.
Last week the Central Leader revealed Bartlett was applying to serve his sentence in the Housing New Zealand flat where the abuse occurred. Neighbours were angry at the application and some said locals were threatening vigilante justice if he returned. Bartlett's application was opposed by HNZ and the probation service. He appeared before the board on Thursday accompanied by two support people. The decision says his Onehunga address was unsuitable because of a nearby school and dairy where children congregate. Bartlett can apply to serve home detention at another address before September 30. Daniel Patrick Bartlett, 62, was sentenced for sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection in the Auckland District Court in July.
The offence carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison but Bartlett was given leave to apply for home detention. "People sexually abusing children should be behind bars for life," the mother says. "It's disgusting." The conviction related to events at Bartlett's state flat in Onehunga in 1998. Bartlett, then 53, knew the girl and her mother. They often visited his home and he sometimes gave the girl sweets and money. The victim, who can't be identified, didn't tell her mother about the abuse until February this year. "It shocked me quite a lot," the mother says. "It was a huge shock because he was a friend of mine." The victim is now 18 and has moved away from the area. But her mother says the teen will have to live with the abuse for the rest of her life.
"When she was growing up there were things I didn't understand about her, and now it makes sense." The woman says Bartlett shouldn't be allowed to serve his sentence in the flat where the abuse took place. "I'm very worried that it could happen to other children," she says. "There's a primary school around the corner." Police detective sergeant Andy King says the sentence was disappointing.
"We asked Crown Law to appeal the matter, but the deputy solicitor general has declined to lodge an appeal," he says. "I find it concerning that a person who commits such a serious offence as a sexual violation on a nine-year-old girl may only serve a minor term of imprisonment." A Crown Law Office spokeswoman says reasons for appeal decisions are not released. The parole board will consider Bartlett's home detention application next week.
Story from Central Leader 14th September 2007
A convicted paedophile should not be allowed to serve home detention near his victim's family home, says MP Phil Goff. The parole board will decide next week whether 62-year-old Daniel Patrick Bartlett will be allowed to serve a two-year sentence in his state flat. The Onehunga sickness beneficiary was convicted of sexual violation of a nine-year-old girl, an offence that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment. The Central Leader revealed on Wednesday Bartlett is applying to serve his sentence in the flat where the offence took place in 1998.
Other tenants in the block say residents have threatened to take justice into their own hands if he returns. The victim's mother, who lives in Onehunga, says she is disgusted by the two-year sentence and Bartlett should remain behind bars. Mr Goff says parole board decisions are independent, but he expects the board to make public safety their main priority. He says consideration of where the offender is placed should take into account the needs of the victim. "An offender on home detention is not, in my opinion, to be placed in close vicinity of the victim." Mr Goff says the offender should be in a stable environment to minimise the risk of reoffending."Whether it's private or state is less important than the nature of the accommodation," Mr Goff says. The parole board decision is expected to be released next week.
Date of Birth
Sexual violation by unlawful connection of a 9 year old Onehunga, Auckland girl in 1998
Three Strikes Status
Sentenced to just 2 years in September 2007
Was given leave to apply for home detention!
This was thankfully turned down
Additional Photos & Files
Associated Media Links
OFFENCES / CONVICTIONS
|Event Date||Event||Court Location||Offence Type||Offence Date||Committed While||Sentence Imposed|