Wanganui Chronicle story here
Wanganui Chronicle story 27th August 2010
Female employee unable to work after $9930 raid. A Wanganui man who robbed a local bar just 11 days after his release from prison has been sent back to jail for another four years and nine months. Ian Faalanga Clarke, 29, will have to serve at least two and a half years of that sentence before he even becomes eligible for parole. Clarke and an associate, Victor Hingaia, 30, robbed the Spirit'd Bar, on Guyton St, on June 13. Clarke had canvassed the bar, arranged a getaway car then gone to the bar armed with a screwdriver and he robbed a lone female attendant of $9930. All the money was later recovered.
In his submission to Whanganui District Court yesterday, Crown prosecutor Lance Rowe sought a minimum non-parole period and told Judge John Clapham that Clarke was a risk to the community that needed to be protected from him. Mr Rowe also said a stage one warning was required: If Clarke offended again, it was three strikes and he would be sentenced to preventive detention. Clarke's lawyer Debbie Goodlet said her client had limited understanding. She said Clarke had never completed violence prevention programmes while in prison previously and she opposed a minimum non-parole period.
Judge Clapham said Clarke's early plea of guilty was a significant element in determining the sentence as his female victim had not been required to go into court. However, he said the victim impact report was a concern. The woman had since been unable to work and was now dependant on her husband. Judge Clapham then warned Clarke that the Crown could seek to apply for preventive detention if he was convicted of another serious violent offence. If he committed murder, he would spend the rest of his life in prison.
Date of Birth
Armed robbery of a Wanganui bar in June 2010
Sentenced to be updated
Additional Photos & Files
Associated Media Links
OFFENCES / CONVICTIONS
|Event Date||Event||Court Location||Offence Type||Offence Date||Committed While||Sentence Imposed|