Kelvin Te Papa Crown
Attacked and raped a 78 year old Hamilton woman in January 2002
This happened one month after being released from the mental health system
NZ Herald story 7th August 2002
The family of a 78-year-old woman who was sexually assaulted by a dangerous psychiatric patient are supporting a High Court judge's call for an investigation into the release of the man. In the High Court at Hamilton last Friday, Justice Tony Randerson declared Kelvin Te Papa Crown, 25, a sickness beneficiary, unfit to stand trial. Crown was facing charges relating to a vicious sexual attack on the Hamilton woman on January 19, only a month after his release from the Auckland District Health Board's Connolly Unit.
Justice Randerson expressed serious concern about the circumstances of the release and ordered that copies of his judgment be forwarded to the Director-General of Mental Health and the general manager of the Department of Corrections. He said Crown was an obvious danger to public safety, and asked why he was released into the community without adequate follow-up or supervision of medication. "Just over a month later he is alleged to have made a violent, unprovoked physical and sexual attack on an elderly woman," said Justice Randerson. The woman's daughter said her family were angry that Crown had been released when he was clearly a risk to the public.
She said her mother's life had been blighted by the attack and the whole family had been devastated. "It's disgusting. It's not just the fact that he has slipped through the system ... it's the effect he has had on my Mum and the family that never goes away. "It will be with her for the rest of her days." Police said Crown attacked the woman at home, where she lived with her daughter. He allegedly followed her into the garage and sexually assaulted her, running away only when he realised she was having trouble with her breathing.
Yesterday, the victim's daughter said her mother was still too traumatised to leave the house. "She's aged about five years in six months. She just does not like going outside now." The family had initially put the entire blame on Crown, she said, but now realised that the system also had to be held accountable. "As reason finally takes over you realise he is sick, because he must have been sick to do what he did. "But he still should not have been loose on the streets." She said Crown had clearly been unwell for a long time, and the family understood he had been detained for 20 days in the Connolly Unit about two years ago.
The victim's son said repercussions from the attack had been severe for his mother and the entire family. "It's really knocked the socks off us in a whole lot of ways. It's gobbled up all of our time since it happened - it's at the forefront of everybody's thoughts and emotions all the time." He was angry that the system supported offenders, but appeared to ignore the rights of victims. "Politicians have been messing around with the system for years. They're going to have to get it into their heads that what they have done is not right." As a special patient, Crown will be detained indefinitely. A Corrections spokeswoman said the matter would be investigated once the judgment was received.
Date of Birth
Three Strikes Status
Detained indefinitely as a special patient
Additional Photos & Files
Associated Media Links
OFFENCES / CONVICTIONS
|Event Date||Event||Court Location||Offence Type||Offence Date||Committed While||Sentence Imposed|